Attendance Check In and a Freebie!

Hi Friends!

I hope you’re having a wonderful Sunday! I’m working on printing out all of the new 4th grade common core standards and student objectives to display on my objectives bored, but I wanted to share something I made last week.

I am so not a lazy teacher, but I do believe in making my life easier by having my students be independent and not having to do every little thing myself. When I taught first grade, I had the same philosophy, and now that I’m going to be teaching fourth, I definitely think my kiddos can take ownership in a lot of the daily running of our classroom.

750b2ed415e1e4d6c5f84ddc08288b5d

When I was in college, one of my professors told us that we should never have to take roll the traditional way (calling out names and waiting to hear “present”) because it was a waste of time. I have to tell you, I couldn’t agree more!

Last year when I had a clip chart, my students had to flip their clip over from their initials to their number when they came in which let me know they were in school. I would just quickly glance and see who’s initials were still facing out, and then I knew who was absent. I didn’t even have to remind them, they just did it first thing.

Well, I’m using a classroom economy in 4th grade (read about it {here} and {here}, so I needed to come up with something new. I’ve seen different attendance check-in’s all over Pinterest, and I finally decided to make a magnetic one.

Here’s what mine looks like! (I still need to add ribbon to hang it)

Picture1

I used a pizza pan from the dollar store and some magnets. I made the numbers and titles myself. I laminated the numbers and headings and glued them to the magnets.

I always give my students a numbers, so they’ll come in every morning, move their number from absent to present, and I’ll know who’s not in school that day! It will be one of my students end of the day jobs to move them back. I would recommend getting a long metal pan instead of this one, because I originally has the numbers as squares, but I had to trim them down.

Click the picture below to grab your free attendance headings and numbers (number go up to 40):

FREEBIE

How do you take attendance? I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below!

Primary Paradise Signature

• Judy
    August 11, 2013 11:29 am

Thanks so much for the attendance freebie! So cute! Is there any way we could get numbers at least up to 25? Have a great year!

August 11, 2013 1:45 pm

Sure. I’ll add it a little later today. πŸ™‚

• Terri
    August 11, 2013 11:46 am

I teach 2nd grade. I have each child’s name with last year’s school picture, and their number on a colorful name tag that I have laminated. I have a three charts I bought for a dollar each at Target. I sewed the chart into four columns.
    First column has the child’s name tag. Second column is labeled milk. Third column is labeled no milk. Fourth column has the child’s job for the week.
    Each day the child moves his name to milk or no milk. On Monday’s they pay particular attention to their job for the week.
    At a glance I know who is present, and who needs milk for lunch, and everyone knows their job! I have 21 children and can put 7 children on each chart.
    Terri from Bloomington, IN

August 11, 2013 1:46 pm

Sounds like a great system!

August 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Just added number up to 40 and some blank ones as well. πŸ™‚

• Dianne Matthews
    August 11, 2013 11:54 am

Looks great!

• Kathy G
    August 11, 2013 1:48 pm

One of the ways I use my Smart board. We need attendance and lunch count together. I have screen that I open just before friends arrive. They move their name under lunch choice. If the name is’t moved then I know they are absent. This year I hope to jazz up the screen a little!

August 11, 2013 1:55 pm

Kathy, I love that idea! I was thinking of doing that, but I want to have my morning work on there in the morning. There are so great, free attendance templates online that are super cute. πŸ™‚

• Jess
    August 11, 2013 8:01 pm

That’s a cute way to take attendance. I’m going to try with my Smartboard this year.
    Rambling About Reading

• Brandi
    August 11, 2013 10:35 pm

I just do a quick scan of the room. I’m blessed to teach at a school with a high attendance rate so if the kids are absent (which is rare), the parents usually email in the morning.

Brandi
    Success in Second Grade

• Alison Rose
    August 11, 2013 11:30 pm

I really like this idea. Thank you for sharing the numbers and labels. I bought a pizza pan this summer and printed out some numbers, but they didn’t fit. I wasn’t really sure what I was going to use it for…yet. I normally just take a quick scan at tables to see who is absent. Our online attendance/gradebook has a seating chart with the kids pictures.
    4th graders are VERY independent if you take some time to teach them how to be. When I taught little kids I always had a volunteer in the class to help and I feel bad now with big kids that I don’t have them as much, but the kids are so capable of doing most things that I would’ve asked a parent to do.
    Alison
    Rockin’ and Lovin’ Learnin’

August 12, 2013 10:33 am

Thanks for the info! I am very excited to have more independent students this year, for sure. πŸ™‚

• ForemanTeaches
    August 12, 2013 3:31 am

Your attendance checker is truly cute. I use my SMART Board for attendance. I make a new one each month to spice it up a bit.

Foreman Teaches

• Judy
    August 12, 2013 12:37 pm

Thanks for the freebie! The blue and green will match perfectly with my classroom.

August 13, 2013 7:34 am

Oh, I’m so glad to hear that! πŸ™‚

• Pam Lewis
    August 12, 2013 9:47 pm

I have a lunch choice board and I use that to take my attendance. Love the freebie; may have to change how I do attendance.
    Pam

• laura ado
    August 13, 2013 6:13 am

What a cute idea for an attendance check in! I love it and it could be used for pull outs too. Thanks for sharing!

Laura ~ First Grade Spies

August 13, 2013 7:35 am

Thanks so much! I LOVE the name of your blog- so cute!