Peek at my Week: Folk Tales, Penguins, and Lab Reports

So, this post was supposed to happen a couple days ago, but then I realized I had left my camera in school. Oops!

Anyway, here’s a quick peek at what we were working on last week!

First, we created our fable and folk tale flipper poster. Every time we read a fable or folk tale, my kiddos wrote down the title, decided if it was a fable or folk tale, and then wrote down the central message.

Fable and Folk Tale Sort FREEBIE Complete

Click the picture about to download the template for FREE and to check out my fable and folk tale anchor chart.

Next, we completed our study on penguins by completing our Penguin Flip Books using the information we learned.

{Click here to purchase it on TPT}

Penguin Flip Book in Progress 1

We used our notes that we took all week to complete each flap. Then they cut, colored, folded, and glued.

Penguin Flip Books In Progress 2

This is one of my students working on the “Where They Live” section. I love how detailed it is. She didn’t just pick one place, instead she told me 3. She asked me if it was okay to draw a kangaroo in Australia since they live there too. Too cute!

Penguin Flip Book Pieces

Once they were done, they just had to glue it down.

Penguin Flip Book Complete

Here’s one finished book! They did a great job. šŸ™‚

The last thing I want to share about it what we’re doing in writing. We’re using the new Common Core Lucy Calkins program. I’m still not sure how I feel about it. My students’ writing is improving, but I wish she included more work on conventions.

Anywho, we’ve just moved into informational writing, and my kids are loving it. It kind of feels like I’m teaching science, not writing, but that might just be the point. At the beginning of the unit, we did an experiment together with a car on a ramp. We did a very guided lab report. Then, my students got in small groups and re-did the expermient, but they got to change one element. Boy did they LOVE being in control of their experiment. Of course, they wrote down a lab report as they worked.

Here are some pictures from the day they did the experiment.

Lab Report Writing

I loved how meticulous they were, and of course the teamwork. This week we’re working on revising our lab reports… if we ever get back to school after all of this snow!

So, there’s a peek at our week! I hope you enjoyed it!

P.S. I will giveaway my Penguin and Polar Bear Lap Book to the first 3 people who comment with their email and a comment about today’s post! šŸ™‚

Edit: Sent! Thanks for the comments friends! šŸ™‚

Primary Paradise Signature

• Tracy Felts Rawles
    January 22, 2014 8:51 am

Looks so engaging!! tfrteach@aol.com

• Practically Penniless
    January 22, 2014 9:03 am

Love the cutie who added 3 places plus a kangaroo! welshscribe07@yahoo.com

• Storie
    January 22, 2014 9:16 am

The penguin foldable looks great. I love that it doesn’t look like every other penguin project out there. I bet your kids LOVED it!
    Storie
    atozscrapbook@gmail.com
    Stories by Storie

• Allison
    January 22, 2014 9:19 am

I appreciate the time you take to post regularly on your blog. It is great to see what other teachers are doing.

• Reenie P.
    January 22, 2014 9:46 am

Love the penguin report. I’m looking for something like this that could be fun for my class to do

• asbishop@comcast.net
    January 22, 2014 9:50 am

The begin book looks great. Something they will want to share at home and kee. asbishop@comcast.net

• asbishop@comcast.net
    January 22, 2014 9:52 am

ARghh I must have really messed up the word penguin if it was changed to begin. Sorry! I love the flap book look.

• maureen sheehan
    January 22, 2014 9:53 am

Love the idea of flap books. Will have to try it. My email is mrsmsheehan@aol.com
    Mrs

• Belinda Self
    January 22, 2014 10:07 am

Love them all. bself@hbgsd.org

• Amna
    January 22, 2014 10:09 am

The penguin book is awesome. My fav is the lab report and writing! Abaig@mdqacademy.org

• Rebecca Oulton Lough
    January 22, 2014 10:43 am

My class and I both loves flip books!! They are so engaging and wonderful for differentiation as your one cutie showed by adding the kangaroo! Thanks for sharing your great products with us. beccalough@aol.com

• Kim Waugh
    January 22, 2014 10:44 am

This packet looks amazing! You are so talented šŸ™‚ kwaugh18@comcast.net

• Corinna Woita
    January 22, 2014 10:52 am

So cute! We are learning about penguins, too! I’d love to hear more about your car experiment…we have zero in the way of science curriculum and I am always looking for new ideas!
    Cwoita@aol.com
    Teachingfabulousfirsties.blogspot.com

• Lauren
    January 26, 2015 6:04 am

Do you have a document on your TPT site for the booklet you used as rough draft for lap report? I have one but I’m looking for something more with more lines like yours. Also, what headings did you put besides procedures? Did you use hypothesis? Questions? Thanks! Just starting this unit! Looking forward to the process and end pieces!

February 6, 2015 7:22 am

Hi Lauren! I don’t have anything on TpT, and I actually just used the LC writing paper that comes with the program on the CD and had them label them. We label each step, so we did procedures, hypothesis, results, etc. Thanks for stopping by!